Students may not return to or live in the residence halls over Winter Break unless they have received permission from Residential Life & Housing and have a valid Winter Break sticker on their ID.
Winter Break Housing Request Forms will be available from the Residential Life & Housing office (110 Sulzberger) starting Monday, December 1. The request forms must be submitted no later than 12noon on Wednesday, December 17.
Permission may be granted for the following reasons:
- You are a Senior (seniors still must submit the request form to receive permission)
- You are working for a Barnard/Columbia office for part/all of the winter break
- You are conducting research with a faculty member
- You are working at an internship in the city
- You are an international student or have a conflict with an international flight
- You are an athlete whose team is in practice and/or competition
All non-seniors will be required to provide documentation w/ their request form (ex. print out of an email from their job supervisor, etc).
The following reasons will not be approved:
- You want to attend a fabulous New Year’s Eve party in the city
- You want to bring your friends to the city for vacation
- Your domestic flight home leaves after the check-out deadline
- Your parents can’t come on the scheduled check-out day to pick you up
- Your bedroom at home is now a guest room
- You scheduled a vacation flight out of a NY airport and want to stay over
- You will not be in Housing for the Spring Semester (or were not in Housing for the Fall Semester), ex. students going abroad for the Spring or graduating in February
For more information, visit barnard.edu/reslife/winterbreak/